Contrary to popular belief, there is no fixed amount of compensation available for each type of injury or illness, because every case is different.
For example, whiplash injuries can vary in severity from a few days of mild discomfort to life-changing injuries that cause permanent and severe disability. Likewise, recovery from a fractured limb may be very straightforward or there may be complications that lead to ongoing problems and incapacity.
For this reason, the value of an injury or illness is assessed for each case individually, so that it properly reflects the level of pain that has been suffered and the effect that the injury or illness has had on the life of the victim.
However, there is a set of national guidelines that provide a range of values for different types of injury or illness according to their severity, and this is a very useful starting point. From there, we can reach a more precise valuation by looking at case law and comparing your injuries or illness with those of other victims whose compensation has been assessed by a court.
To enable us to assess the extent of your injuries or illness and likely recovery, we will ask a medical expert to examine you and prepare a report. Your claim will then be valued on the basis of that report.
In addition to claiming compensation for your injuries or illness, we will also claim compensation for your other losses and expenses. Depending on the type of claim, these may include the accident damage to your vehicle, any excess, recovery charges, storage charges, car hire charges, loss of earnings, any property damaged in the accident, travel costs, the cost of medical equipment, care costs, prescription charges and so on.
Once we know more about your injuries or illness and have assessed your claim in more detail, we will be able to provide you with an estimate of how much compensation we think you should be awarded. Talk to our friendly solicitors to start your claim.
More about compensation claim amounts
How much compensation will I get for an asbestos-related disease claim?
The level of compensation you can expect from a successful asbestos claim will vary depending on a number of factors, which can include:
- The age of the victim when the asbestos-related disease is diagnosed
- The severity of the condition
- The limitations that the illness puts on the victim’s ability to work
- The effect of the illness on the victim’s quality of daily life and normal activities
- The impact on the life expectancy of the victim
How much compensation will I get for a road traffic accident claim?
- The severity of the injuries
- The impact of these injuries on the victim’s short, medium and long term health
- The effect of the injuries on the victim’s current and future quality of life and ability to work
- The level of care that the victim will require as a result of the injuries
As there are so many different injuries that can be sustained in road traffic accidents, once we have full details about your specific injuries, we will be able to give an estimation of the kind of compensation amount you can expect to receive if your claim is successful.
How much compensation will I get for a medical negligence claim?
- The severity of the condition or illness that the victim is left with as a result of negligence
- The impact of the negligence on short, medium and long term health
- The effect of the negligence on the victim’s ongoing quality of life and ability to work
- Current and future care needs as a result of the negligence
If you contact us to discuss your potential medical negligence claim, we will be able to give you an estimate of the potential compensation amount once we have assessed your case more fully.
How much compensation will I get for an accident at work claim?
- The nature of the injury and how severe the impact is on the health of the victim
- The long-term effects of the accident both physically and psychologically
- The impact on the victim’s current and future ability to work and their quality of life
If you get in touch with us and share the details of your potential case, we will be able to assess your claim. Once we have full details of your injuries, we will be in a position to give you an estimate of the type of compensation amount to expect if your accident at work claim is successful.
How much compensation will I get for an accident in a public place claim?
- The severity of the injuries suffered
- The impact these injuries will have on short, medium and long-term health
- The effect the injuries will have on current and future quality of life and ability to work
- The impact that the accident has had psychologically on the victim
As every case is different, to get an estimation of the compensation amount that your accident in a public place claim could bring, contact us so that we can evaluate your circumstances and provide you with advice.